homestead - [Homestead] Homestead topic -- guard dog doing his job

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Homestead topic -- guard dog doing his job
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:36:08 -0500

Tonight I came home later than I'd planned, and it was dark. When I stopped
in front of the house my Anatolian, Louis, who generally hears the car and
hustles over for a biscuit and rub, was nowhere in sight.

Turned out he was on one of his vantage points. I hadn't been stopped long
enuf to turn the headlights off when he shot out to the standing corn north
of the barn. I knew he was on patrol. I followed him and heard coyotes. By
the time he came back to see if I had a biscuit for him, the coyotes had
moved further north.

The boy is working out well. He doesn't tolerate other canines (aside from
the resident border collies) at all.

I know he's a good dog, but it was nice to see him in action -- ignoring me
and taking care of business first. Of course, he came back for the biscuit
as soon as he was sure the riffraff was on the run.

Marie