homestead - Re: [Homestead] Would that be the direct line marked gold?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Would that be the direct line marked gold?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 09:23:16 -0500

First, I'd ask this: to anyone, actually. What has the federal government
done under Bush that has *directly* affected your life?

I am breathing dirtier air. I am paying more for gas and diesel fuel. I am paying less in federal income taxes. Shall I selfishly applaud the big Bush tax cut? I do not. The tax cut is already shown to be part of the economic disaster he has orchestrated.

Who can be against lower taxes? I can, when simultaneously there is not reduced government spending. This charade conservative has cut taxes--income--and increased government programs--spending.

Exciting social and economic times are ahead, but only for those with an ear to the ground and an eye on the horizon. In that context, Bush is just a
distraction, being swept along on the times same as us.

The economic times ahead will be more than exciting in the Chinese curse sense. For many, they will be desperate. Tell hungry children they should keep an eye on the horizon. Most of us will pay greater taxes to pay the interest on the debt. On the social front, many will spend much time grieving over those killed and maimed as a result of his actions. Children will grow up without fathers and mothers. We will all continue for decades to breathe dirtier air. The great middle class of America will wither as there are more rich people and many more poor people.

The ticking time bomb of stock-pension-SS-investments(including real estate) has still to be dealt with.

That dog won't hunt. It has long been established that Medicare is a greater danger to our national economy than Social Security, which, with minor adjustments, can continue indefinitely.

I'm convinced more and more each day that he truly is Zephod Beeblebrox.

Beeblebrox Bush does have a nice ring to it. And Z[a]phod Beeblebrox the Nothingth fits nicely. But Bush has more than two heads. You are forgetting the one stuck in the sand.

With the Bush addiction (through some twelve step program) suppressed, no mention of Bush, what do you have to say then? Plenty, I'd hope. . .

You have not told us what you do beyond living a subsistence life.

Instead, any instance of not feeding the beast that would devour us
DOES do some good. And being an example of a sane, peaceful life outside of the bruhaha is far more valuable than yet another call or fax saying "Hurray for our side."

Not enough. The many of us attempting to lead responsible lives are a spit spot in the splat sea. Single, exemplary lives can inspire if they are widely publicized but they rarely create political change. The political game is about power. We can have an effect through votes, two major kinds. First at the polls, and second, at the buying station. Just buying less does not starve the monster government beast. Buying with discrimination is the key. Buy only products from companies you wish to reward. Boycott those you feel are immoral, unethical, dangerous to people and the environment.

We must vote each day in as many ways as possible. One of my ways is to use the power of the Internet to argue against insane government policies and the insane people who propagate them. If my words ring true, some may vote differently. And that can create change.