homestead - Re: [Homestead] Sciatica home remedies, please

  • From: Lisa Perry <lkvp AT floydva.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Sciatica home remedies, please
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:14:00 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:

Does anyone have suggestions that have worked for them?

Sorry to hear of your back troubles, Gene. My husband frequently battles back problems with an L5 disc that is much less than what it should be. Lifting logs, chopping firewood and a myriad of other chores aren't great for a problem back. What helps him when his flares up is to stretch in this manner: sit on the floor (preferably on a mat so as to not move), put your left leg out in front of you. Bend your right leg at the knee bringing your right heel in to your crotch (as best you can to form an "L" with your legs). Lean forward with both arms stretching to your left foot and count slowly to 15. Reverse with right foot in front. Then put both legs in front of you and repeat. Do 3x.

Here's another one. Stand and bring both your arms behind your back, clasping your hands. Keeping your hands together, begin to slowly bend from the waist going as far down as you can. You'll feel the stretch in your lower back and legs.

When all else fails, in addition to what you've already been doing, he visits our local, friendly chiropractor. Hope you feel better soon.

Lisa