homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chainsaw recommendations?

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chainsaw recommendations?
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 10:57:43 -0700

> Yes. Fear. Keep it with you always. (snip)
Chainsaws are the most dangerous tool I use.
(snip)
> Wear heavy boots, (snip)

Question :
are steel-toed boots a good idea or could
the angles (of cut or steel-toe) somehow
deflect (before the chain stopped - and I
know there are chain-brakes) the cut
somewhere "worse" than the foot/toe area ?

> Ear protection is good, especially if you like music or having someone
> whisper in your ear.

All together now, "Listen to the birdies sing ..." !

> Stay scared.

SIR, yes, SIR !! (and I'm not being facetious,
this is respect-e-mail-style) 'cause even if
you have people with you - as in not 'sawing'
"alone", hospitals are a long way away when
you're bleeding.

Toni

Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 14:29:39 -0700
From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org

Rob wrote:

> At 10/3/2004 07:41 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Heading to my property in Virginia in a couple of weeks to do some
>> work. I need to buy a chainsaw. There are some trees that were
>> bulldozed before I bought the property and I want to clean up and
>> turn them into firewood. Nothing is really big.
>>
>> Anything I should take into consideration?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Rob
>

> Hi Rob,
> If you are into good tools look around your area in Virginia and see
> what dealers you have in the big names. Husqvarna, Sthil, Jonserude
> (sp)... It will depend on what they are using there. Get the biggest
> you can afford in that brand.
> A 60cc is about the smallest they recommend for milling, that was my
> guide. My is 72cc and did everything I've asked of it.
> If you are just looking on getting by most any of the other brands
> will do the trick. An extra chain and a sharpening jig/files are a
> good idea too.
> Have fun!
>

> Rob
>
> becidawa AT hctc.com
> Now in western Washington, USA

tvoivozhd---I'm easily confused---too many Robs. I know one Rob has a
handheld portsble bandsaw you carry to the log---wonderful machine for
modest amounts of bandsawing boards, three or four-inch wide roof beams,
squared posts. It's going to be sliding along the top of a downed log,
so the weight will not break your back. But using the superlarge
chainsaws in the woods for felling trees makes me wince to think about
it (my chiropractor is grinning like a possum eating you-know-what)
Bi-i-g chainsaw heads for the RipSaw, midsize , lighter-weight heads for
chainsaws you have to use all day in the woods in a bent-over position
felling trees http://www.right-tool.com/ripporsaw.html