homestead - RE: [Homestead] Chainsaw recommendations?

  • From: "WF Smith" <WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Chainsaw recommendations?
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 23:15:33 -0400

Rob,

I highly recommend a Husqvarna. I've owned Poulans and Craftsman/Homelites.
My Husqvarna starts every time- the others didn't.

Buy the biggest Husqvarna you can afford and make the dealer throw in one
extra chain for free. (Some people would have put ***'s around "free", but I
just can't do that). They WILL give you the extra chain and you will be
thankful for it.

The routine is this... Start cutting wood at 7:00am, take a break around
10:00, drink some water and change chains. When lunchtime comes, eat, then
sharpen both chains with either a 12vdc chain sharpener or by hand. Drink
more water at 2:00 and change chains again. Cut wood til darkthirty then
change chains right before you come in for the night. Sharpen both chains
again in the comfort of your home that night and repeat as necessary. When
your chainsaw shavings look like excelsior you'll know you're sharpening the
chain properly.

Also, the chaps you see some blokes wearing on the lumberjack competitions
are not just for show. A chainsaw probably has as much potential to bite as
any tool a homesteader could ever use. YMMV

Warren

> need to buy a chainsaw. There are some trees that were bulldozed before I
> bought the property and I want to clean up and turn them into firewood.
> Nothing is really big.
>
> Anything I should take into consideration?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob

---