homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chainsaw recommendations?

  • From: "clanSkeen" <sgian AT planetc.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chainsaw recommendations?
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 08:34:30 -0400

I see the men folk recommending the biggest you can afford. I can't use the
biggest, being a rather small (albeit extremely strong) woman. I think the
"biggest" thing would also depend somewhat on what you need to cut. We've
had several brands of chainsaws and honestly haven't seen any difference in
their performance.

But sharp blades and lots of "being careful" and stopping before you are
really tired and making sure you don't do stupid things like cut at too odd
an angle -- you probably can't do too much of those things. Besides any
other safety gear, you might think about hearing protection.

BTW, we cut all our heating wood with hand tools now (past two winters) --
that's what we've evolved to.

Denise