homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chainsaw recommendations?

  • From: "clanSkeen" <sgian AT planetc.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chainsaw recommendations?
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 18:12:29 -0400

> >>BTW, we cut all our heating wood with hand tools now (past
> >>two winters) --
> >>that's what we've evolved to.
> >>
> >>Denise
>
> Now that is hard-core!
>
> Warren

Well, not as hard core as you might think, and not nearly the drudgery that
Gene portrays either. We don't have the best stoves and so will eventually
upgrade (our cookstove, a 1930 or so Majestic, has too small of a firebox as
much as I love it -- my grandmother bought it new) both. But with good
stoves and decent insulation (although we allow for lots of exchange), it
just isn't bad. We cut a lot of dead wood which is harder to cut than green
wood but it is dry and free for the taking from the woods. If you "count"
in your time on paying for the petrochemical saw, maintenance on it, upkeep,
all that jazz, we've found they are lots more expensive and absolutely no
faster. And lots more dangerous. We didn't go to hand tools because we
like to beat our toes with hammers but because it works better for us.
That's why I mentioned we'd done it for the past two winters because it was
definitely experimental that first year!

And always remember:
Life without vision is drudgery
Vision without action is but an empty dream
Action guided by vision is destiny.

Denise