homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chainsaw recommendations?

  • From: Mark Rousseau <markrousseau AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chainsaw recommendations?
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 09:54:28 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:

Anything I should take into consideration?

Yes. Fear. Keep it with you always. It may save a finger, hand, foot, leg. Chainsaws are the most dangerous tool I use.

For normal-size stuff, a sixteen-inch bar is adequate. Better to have it overpowered rather than under. So buy a Stihl or Husky that will take an eighteen or twenty-four-inch bar and buy it with a sixteen.

Learn how to sharpen chains. Keep them sharp. Maintain the saw perfectly.

Read the instruction book three times before filling the fuel tank.

Wear heavy boots, trousers and leather gloves. Ear protection is good, especially if you like music or having someone whisper in your ear. Stay scared.

Second this one, stay scared but not too scared! You always want to be cautious around a chain saw.
I would also recommend getting at least a pair of kevlar chaps sold by logging firms. They aren't that cheap( < $100) but they add a layer of protection.
I've been very happy with my stihl which I received as a birthday gift several years ago. It just works great, is well balenced.

-