homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chainsaw recommendations?

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chainsaw recommendations?
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 14:47:47 -0700

Toni Hawryluk wrote:

Yes. Fear. Keep it with you always. (snip)

Chainsaws are the most dangerous tool I use.
(snip)

Wear heavy boots, (snip)

Question : are steel-toed boots a good idea or could the angles (of cut or steel-toe) somehow deflect (before the chain stopped - and I know there are chain-brakes) the cut somewhere "worse" than the foot/toe area ?

Ear protection is good, especially if you like music or having someone whisper in your ear.

All together now, "Listen to the birdies sing ..." !

Stay scared.

SIR, yes, SIR !! (and I'm not being facetious,
this is respect-e-mail-style) 'cause even if
you have people with you - as in not 'sawing'
"alone", hospitals are a long way away when you're bleeding.

Toni

tvoivozhd---my almost ninety-year old neighbor for whom I was palbearer when he died, damn near died at about eighty years of age when his chainsaw kicked back and sliced his chest open---don't know how he stayed conscious long enough to drive his pickup fifteen miles to a clinic. The advice on Kevlar clothing is very good.