homestead - [Homestead] about sodas - and juices instead

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: "Homestead mailing list" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] about sodas - and juices instead
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 10:38:30 -0700

I know it's talking about kids - sometimes we're

grown-up kids when it comes to being partial to

something ... nevertheless, we *are* what we

eat. Or drink. What I like is how quickly I get

data online without even asking for it - only

yesterday sodas were a topic .... today there

is - a headline on my screen .... of course ya

gotta read it from where you're *at* to see what

may apply to your own particular case ...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6142711/?GT1=5462

The soft drink explosion among kids

Studies link rise in soda consumption to childhood obesity

By Karen Collins, R.D.

Updated: 3:18 p.m. ET Oct. 1, 2004

National dietary surveys show that carbonated soft drink consumption more
than doubled in youths aged 6 to 17 from about 5 ounces per day in 1977-78 to
12 ounces in 1994-98, the most recent years for which national data is
available. Adolescent boys' soft drink consumption more than tripled during
those years.

There are at least two negative results to this soft drink explosion.

First, the use of soft drinks is likely related to the rise in childhood
obesity. A variety of studies suggest that we don't eat fewer calories from
other sources when we increase calories from beverages. If a child drinks 9
to 10 ounces of a soft drink, that's equivalent to almost 120 calories.

In general, kids who drink the most soft drinks get only about
three-quarters of the calcium that nonconsumers of these drinks do.

One study shows that youth who drink 9 ounces or more of soda a day consume
almost 200 calories more each day than those who skip these beverages. If
this amount of calories is consistently added to a youth's normal daily food
intake, it can cause gradual weight gain. A small study of children 6 to 13
years old showed that they gained a quarter- to a half-pound per week over
four to eight weeks when they drank more than 12 ounces a day of soft drinks.

In addition to the problem of weight gain, when children drink more soft
drinks, they may drink less of beverages like 100 percent fruit juice and
milk.

A child's nutrient intake would drop as a result. Younger children seem to be
particularly at risk. In one study, preschoolers who drank nine or more
ounces of soft drinks per day were almost four times as likely to drink less
than 8 ounces of milk per day.

In general, kids who drink the most soft drinks get only about three-quarters
of the calcium that nonconsumers of these drinks do. Those who drink more
soft drinks also drink less fruit juice, so they get less vitamins A and C,
too.

More Nutrition Notes

Are costly low-carb foods worth
it?<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6083268/>
<http://www.nbcolympics.com/results/5038516/detail.html>

Limit 'screen time'
To reverse current trends, it may be helpful to limit children's TV viewing.
A new study indicates that the odds of drinking soft drinks almost daily was
twice as likely for those children who watched more than 3.5 hours of
television a day. Researchers believe that the increase is related to soft
drink advertising. For a child's proper development, the American Academy of
Pediatrics recommends limiting total "screen time," which includes use of
computers and video games, to no more than two hours a day. Observing this
two-hour, screen-viewing limit could diminish a child's use of soft drinks.

Another influence that parents can control is their own behavior. If parents
drink soft drinks three or more times a week, their children are three times
more likely to drink five or more per week than kids whose parents drink less
often. Obviously, it can be hard for children to see why they should drink
milk, juice, or water at meals and snacks while parents drink a soda. The
availability of soft drinks at home and soft drink vending machines in
schools also affect children's soft drink consumption. While the habits of
children's friends can make a difference, the parent's influence is stronger,
according to the research.

Although soft drink consumption among children has received the most critical
attention in studies, the wide popularity of sports drinks, fruit drinks with
only 5 to 20 percent juice and sweetened drinks made from powdered mixes are
also concerns. These drinks carry extra calories and decrease children's
consumption of nutrient-dense drinks. Parents should restrict these drinks as
well.

Nutrition Notes is provided by the American Institute for Cancer
Research<http://www.aicr.org/> in Washington, D.C.© 2004 MSNBC Interactive

  • [Homestead] about sodas - and juices instead, Toni Hawryluk, 10/04/2004