homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chainsaw recommendations?

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chainsaw recommendations?
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:14:53 -0400

Thanks for all the replies to my mail. Lot's of things to consider. Instead of replying to each email, here are some of the highlights I am gathering here.

Buy the biggest Husqvarna you can afford and make the dealer throw in one
extra chain for free. (Some people would have put ***'s around "free", but I
just can't do that). They WILL give you the extra chain and you will be
thankful for it.

Extra chain sounds like a good idea.

A 60cc is about the smallest they recommend for milling, that was my guide.
My is 72cc and did everything I've asked of it.

Maybe I need to look at a dealer, because, HD and Lowes don't have much over 53cc motor

Vibration to where your hands are -

After hours of work, this is a good consideration

Yes. Fear. Keep it with you always.

I kept this with me since I was a kid. Good advice.

But sharp blades and lots of "being careful" and stopping before you are
really tired and making sure you don't do stupid things like cut at too odd
an angle -- you probably can't do too much of those things. Besides any
other safety gear, you might think about hearing protection.

Good advice, also.

-tvoivozhd---depends what you want, maximum power in a chainsaw
package, or maximum docility.

Looking for a balance.

Automatic lubrication chainsaw pumps can be set (usually with a
screwdriver) to greater or smaller oil-flow. A damned nuisance, since
it is common to encounter both green and dry trees and logs. To cut dry
wood, the lube-flow must be much greater than lube-flow cutting green
wood, to avoid burning out chain and bar---you can burn out both in just
a few minutes of dry-wood cutting if the pump is set for green wood. A
thumb-pump lets you throw an occasional shot of lube into the chain and
bar when the automatic oiler is set for green wood and you have to saw
some dry wood.

I did not know this, I'll be cutting dry wood this time out. Old stuff that was bulldozed down last year.

You can take the easy way out, stop at Walmart and just buy a cheap one.
Cut up your trees and then put the sucker away.
If you find yourself doing more than that you could then invest in
bigger-better-more$ chainsaw and have the cheap one for a back up.

Good advice, economics might call for cheaper right now, and to add the really good one later on when I need it (or can find a good used one, etc.)

tvoivozhd---I'm easily confused---too many Robs.

I'm the Rob with homestead in El Salvador, being run by family, just bought land in VA and need to get my butt out of the rat race and on land ASAP. :>)

Thanks for all the good advice group!

Rob

---
This mail is certified Virus Free.