ch-scene - Re: Off topic talk of..How'd my man do?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Jason M. Sullivan" <jason AT krazykat.nc.rr.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Off topic talk of..How'd my man do?
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 20:40:07 GMT

In article <Pine.GSO.4.58.0410071051480.14933 AT godzilla.acpub.duke.edu>,
rcu AT duke.edu wrote:
> Jason Sullivan writes:
>
>> Whoo, [libertarianism] _is_ a can of worms.
>
> Would you prefer for voters to be -surprised- when they walk into
> the precinct, and see Badnarik as the third of three names on the ballot?
>
> That sounds like WRAL.
>
> WRAL thinks the General Assembly is too easy on ballot access standards.
> [blah blah blah]

I never said Lib's shouldn't be on the ballot or invited to debates. In
fact, I think the more exposure they get, the better. I firmly believe
that if Ralph Nader (not a Libertarian, but bear with me) had gotten as
much press as he desired, 2000 would have been a better year all around.

>> If anyone thinks that privatizing the police force won't lead to the bad
>> old days of the Pinkertons and the Wackenhuts laying the beat down on
>> whoever the folks that pay them tell them to, they're seriously deluding
>> themselves.
>
> Yeah instead we have the Bennetts and Bishops, laying down the beat on me
> at the demopublican lawmakers' behest, who twice assaulted and kidnapped
> me, twice stole my car, and who stole two of my guns, all under color of
> law.
> I am supposed to think this is a big improvement over the days when
> organized bullying was done by men with other last names?

If'd you'd googled as much as you'd avised me to, you'd realize that those
private security firms were responsible to the beatings and deaths (yes,
deaths) of various and sundry picketing workers over the course of the
early years of the Labor movement in this country.

I don't know where Lib's stand on unions, but I'm pretty sure they don't
approve of capital punishment by private cop. That's the point I'm making
here. If you think mall security sucks (and who here doesn't?), think of
mall cops, with guns, protecting the country. I'm not saying the streets
will run red with the gore of innocents, but government cops (in general)
do a pretty good job of following government rules.

As for your brush with the law, well, I'll let you tell it...

"(refusal to answer demands for papers at a random roadblock, which
roadblock they called a license checkpoint, which refusal they called
resisting, delaying or obstructing an officer in the performance of his
duties, and, possessing the means of self-defense without the regime's
permission, which they called carrying concealed weapons)"

There's still much open debate on if across the board roadblocks are legal
or not, but until that's resolved, the cops are going to keep doing them.
I can almost smell your glee at the opportunity to be a test case, but
maybe next time you shouldn't carry a concealed fiream when you don't have
a CCW. That's a law that they're perfectly correct in chucking you in the
back of a cop car for violating; and it's also a law that the majority of
the population feels is perfectly reasonable. As a matter of fact, it
makes the roadblock law *much less likely* to be overturned "See! We found
a crazed, gun-toting libertarian! We _need_ this law!". Thanks a lot.

(side note: Yes, you have a right to keep and bear arms, but keep your
paperwork up to date. Do you also not get your car inspected because you
refuse to recognize the authority of the local Jiffy Lube?)

Note, too, while your entry into the car may have been somewhat less
dignified than a person of your political stature is used to, you were not
treated to a baton hairstyling, broken thumbs, or death.

> The more you concentrate special powers and privileges to a special class of
> citizens, the more strife you invite.

I'm not certain I follow the logic here. Are you saying people don't like
cops because they're... well... cops? Or represenatives of the government?
How does that change when they're paid by someone completely unaccountable?
Libertarian concepts really work when everyone plays nice. Not everyone
plays nice. That's one of the reasons we have cops, after all.

--
//// Jason M. SULLIVAN jsullivan AT nc.rr.com
|c-oo http://www.jason0x21.org
\_- "That's not music, that's just sound!" - J. David Fries