ch-scene - Re: Off topic talk of..How'd my man do?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: rcu AT duke.edu
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Off topic talk of..How'd my man do?
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 11:30:35 -0400

Jason Sullivan writes:

> Whoo, that _is_ a can of worms.

Would you prefer for voters to be -surprised- when they walk into
the precinct, and see Badnarik as the third of three names on the ballot?

That sounds like WRAL.

WRAL thinks the General Assembly is too easy on ballot access standards.
The three parties who manage to be on the ballot are one too many for WRAL
to invite to the Gubernatorial "debate." WRAL would prefer you simply
not hear anything about that third state-recognized choice until it's
too late. To help deceive you, they refer to Easley and Ballantine as
"the two" gubernatorial candidates. And they stage this openly
partisan publicity event, this pro-demopublican ad, promoting Easley
and Ballantine to the exclusion of Barbara Howe. And yet somehow WRAL are
not required to submit any campaign finance reports about their
widely broadcast, expensive-to-produce, partisan political advertisement.

> The biggest problem with those guys is they can't keep the nutjob ideas
> out of the platform. To Wit:
>
> "Crime rates go down when offenders must compensate their victims and
> responsible citizens are permitted to carry concealed weapons. Privatizing
> police gives them incentive to emphasize prevention and focus on violent,
> rather than victimless, crimes."
>
> If anyone thinks that privatizing the police force won't lead to the bad
> old days of the Pinkertons and the Wackenhuts laying the beat down on
> whoever the folks that pay them tell them to, they're seriously deluding
> themselves.

Yeah instead we have the Bennetts and Bishops, laying down the beat on me
at the demopublican lawmakers' behest, who twice assaulted and kidnapped
me, twice stole my car, and who stole two of my guns, all under color of law.
I am supposed to think this is a big improvement over the days when
organized bullying was done by men with other last names?

The more you concentrate special powers and privileges to a special class of
citizens, the more strife you invite.

The pro-war side is lucky, it has a choice between Bush or Kerry. If you
want the troops home or the Patriot Act repealed, or an end to the drug
war, or you want a paper ballot, or for the whole country to be a
Free-Speech Zone again, and you're in NC, then you're stuck with
the Libertarians. Sorry about that. At least we are also the only ones
you can vote for who even talk about lowering the ballot-access hurdles
or repealing the ban on write-in voting.

Ray Ubinger
http://governyourself.com