ch-scene - Re: Off topic talk of..How'd my man do?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: rcu AT duke.edu
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Off topic talk of..How'd my man do?
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:12:34 -0400

> How is a free man "made to pay" if not through a fine?

Through recompense, which means to the victim. Fines go to the State.

> In acknowledging someone should be "made to pay"

but only when harm to a victim's liberty/property has occurred and the
perp has been proven by due process

>, you seem to be saying that,
> unfortunately, some degree of coercion is necessary for a society to
> function.

Some degree of capability for retaliatory coercion is necessary for a
society to function, in case coercion gets initiated.

> I just think the libertarian platform sometimes interprets that
> [the philosophy of self-ownership and equal freedom] in a way that
> doesn't leave room for collective, democratic decision making.

I am trying harder to make sure they count your vote than I see you or
any demopublican trying to make sure they count my vote. The
Dem-run G.A. in particular has sat and left the vote-trashing statute
#163-123 on the books for their last 8 "elections."

Durham county is currently home to 13 sitting officials who (like
Saddam) officially claim to have been elected unanimously. We'll be
bumping that number up to 17 this time around.

VOTE BY AT-HOME ABSENTEE -- GUARANTEE A PAPER TRAIL.

this is my nonpartisan hit message in this campaign

if you like it too, spread the word!

call your b.o.e. for details, but the basics are
you must rqst it in writing--email should be okay;
you must rqst it NLT a week out;
they mail it to wherever you want;
you return it by mail or in person, w/the envelope *SIGNED* by you and by
two witnesses.
They must rcv it by NLT 5pm the day b4 the precincts are open.
They will supply you the two witnesses themselves if you go in person--but
in that case be sure to leave the envelope UNSEALED until you are
BEING EYEWITNESSED by them IN PERSON.

if you rqst it in person, in asking for the form you may have to
politely insist that you want a
ballot mailed to you, that you do NOT want to vote at one of the
early-voting booths. you don't have to say why you want to vote at home
. you don't have to say whether you'll be in town in the early weeks or not.
the nosy/lazy ones among them WILL try to cajole you out of it.

> Just because I disagree with the Libertarian platform doesn't mean I
> think Libertarians should be excluded from the political arena.

Do you think they should be taxed without representation? In particular
do you think I should be forced to pay for some govt program(s) that you
like if I was denied an equal counted vote in the election of the people
who then got to vote on what the tax rate would be?

That was the basis of my jury trial. If I can't vote as I please for
county commission then why should I pay the county commission's tax on my
car? The judge steadfastly refused to let me put such questions to the
jury, so I remain curious what you the people really think. So far it has
cost me at least my $1500 fine to find out.

And ps sorry James but that setback still has a monetarily humble guy like
me too tapped out to buy any more guns and thus support our local cinemas.