ch-scene - Re: Ditch the guns II

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bo Williams <bo AT mrboboto.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Ditch the guns II
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:04:58 -0400

OK, Todd, but couldn't you use the same line of reasoning to say that buying a cup of coffee at Starbuck's doesn't *really* make me responsible for the demise of indy coffee shops- I mean, that $2.00 doesn't give me a say in how their business is run, right? I'm just trading for goods and services over here.

I don't think that line exists between donating and purchasing. Either way you are supporting the business. The only distinction I can see is that you never *have* to donate to something, whereas one is forced to make compromises when it comes to consumer goods- gotta get coffee somewhere. So in that sense, isn't donating in fact a *more* intentioned act of support than a mere purchase?

(Of course I'm totally stretching the argument here, but it's worth thinking/talking about no?)

Bo

P.S. Dude, I would be more careful with throwing around accusations of obnoxiousness. I think we've all had our obnoxious days in ye olde Usenet. Black does not begin to describe the total vacuum of light in this particular pot. Besides, I'd rather see people get obnoxious and uppity in an attempt at making this world a little nicer place for all of us than, I don't know, about the price of beer.

Todd Morman wrote:

"When people give time and money to such a fine
cause, they become partners in the cause's future."

Bullshit. When you *donate* to a cause, you're not becoming a partner in the
business. You're simply donating. Do it or don't.

todd donating doesn't give you a say in how the business is run unless
that's part of the deal from the start and no one's said it is in this case
morman