ch-scene - Re: Ditch the guns II

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bo Williams <bo AT mrboboto.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Ditch the guns II
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:26:48 -0400

What rankled me a bit was that the first letter sounded like "I'm not going to do it anymore, and neither should you." Like Jason said, it made a dichotomy- either you're with us or you're agin' us.

"I'm not going to do it" is one thing... none of us are perfect, and everyone has some moral gray areas in these things. It's pretty much impossible to be any kind of consumer these days otherwise. Seems to me that most people interpret that as "I'm going to try my best not to do it, but I'm human so I might fuck up sometime."

"I'm not going to do it, and neither should you", however, requires a higher standard of personal actions and comments if one wants to avoid accusations of hypocrisy. That's all I'm saying here.

Bo

James Hepler wrote:

BTW, your blog makes my computer not want to work
anymore, and I didn't see where I could reply to the
content. Just a permalink and two sets of brackets.

All I've
said is that I don't personally want to give money to an institution that
puts more guns into my community. It's against my religious and my
political beliefs. I'm not gonna do it.

ITYM "I'm not gonna do it anymore".

Hep