ch-scene - Re: Ditch the guns II

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ruby Sinreich <ruby AT lotusmedia.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Ditch the guns II
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:37:49 -0400

If you read my letter, I explicitly said "I'm not here to tell anyone what to do." So I wish you would stop saying I'm calling for a boycott. I don't think anyone has suggested that.

I'm trying to be honest about the compromises all of us make every day so we can live and participate in our society. How many of you are in favor of sweatshops and child labor? OK, now look down at your shoes, look at the back of your computer. How and where do you think these things are made? How many of you drove to work alone in your cars today, even though you know there are other ways to get there - especially on Car Free Day. (http://orangepolitics.org/2004/09/time-to-go-car-free/) So no none of are perfect, but it doesn't mean we can't try to do better and be more conscious of our impact on the world.

I think we all have some inherent responsibility for our part in the local and global economy. Counter to what you may have read, I am not perfect. So I go to the drive-in because I want to support local businesses (especially theaters and especially drive-ins), but I personally draw the line at giving money to the gun and ammo shop (which the theater partially subsidizes).

I think it's great to see the community coming together over this issue, but we may be missing an opportunity to make some positive change instead of just reinstate the status quo. For example, what if this new SOS "foundation" retained ownership over part of the theater and managed it for the community's benefit, or what if they worked with the Center for Community Self-Help to establish a sustainable and healthy business to complement the drive-in. Again: I'm not here to tell anyone what to do. I'm just dreaming out loud. There is more than one way to do this.

I find it strange that my moral dilemma seems to outrage some of you. I am just raising questions, you have to answer them for yourselves. As Brian's letter said "When people give time and money to such a fine cause, they become partners in the cause's future."

= Ruby