ch-scene - Re: Ditch the guns II

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <jameshepler AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Ditch the guns II
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 07:29:40 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ruby Sinreich <ruby AT lotusmedia.org> wrote:

> You'd have to ask someone else about that. I wrote
> my feelings about
> it to the three people that read my blog, Todd
> responded here on the
> list.

Well, no. Todd wasn't the first. I got an email
urging me to consider that it's a gun store before
making a donation. Urging me to join in the cause to
ask Bob to close the gun store if we help him reopen.
Se, as far as I can tell, this was more thamn a simple
airing of concersns, but rather a call to action. I
have far more cynical things to say about the nature
and perceived intent of the original email, but will
reserve them for Hell Thursday night!

But the most infuriating part of it is the suggestion,
naive at BEST, that "your giving can help support a
community business and prevent needless death" which
suggests that Bob Groves is CAUSING needless death
with his gun store. Which is one reason I suggested
that everyone who wants the gun store to close should
go meet the man and talk to him about it in person. I
think he is owed that courtesy, rather than having to
put up with being accused of causing needles death,
you know?

> I do think it's a point worth raising, as we are all
> responsible for
> the community we create. I don't want to be
> responsible for more guns,
> no matter whose hands they're in. Do you?

I'm sorry. I can't really hold this back anymore.
I'm not some young, impressionable PeTA member who can
be convinced with simplified, knuckle headed questions
like that one. God I hate that kind of appeal to
emotion. But yes, let me shatter that for you. I'd
like to be responsible for more guns, say, in the
hands of POLICE!

Other than that, I don't make or sell guns. There is
no way for me to be responsible for more guns in any
case. I sponsored a piece of plywood.

In fact, I did more to put more guns on the street by
leaving my fucking brand new digital camera in my
pickup truck to be stolen last weekend. The sale of
that camera could buy five guns. Not from Bob Groves,
of course.

The things is, if you are so damn concerned about guns
in Durham, why have I not heard you rail against pawn
shops in Durham? Any other gun stores? Why Groves,
why now? I submit that it is called OPPORTUNISM. And
I submit that it is unfair to Groves for you to be
unloading your whole global perception of guns and gun
violence directly on him.

> And no, I'm not giving to SOS. But I'm not stopping
> others. Just
> asking them to think about it.

All the more confusing. You said you went to movies
because you were supporting a local business. Can you
explain to me how sponsoring a sheet of plywood
supports the gun store? Also, if he were to promise
to clse his gun store, would you donate?

Since we're taking moral stands, I'll just say that I
don't put conditions on my charity. I don't hold
money over a struggling person's head and make
demands.

Just asking you to think about it.

Hep