ch-scene - Re: Ditch the guns II

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <jameshepler AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Ditch the guns II
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 06:51:31 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ruby Sinreich <ruby AT lotusmedia.org> wrote:

> I think we all have some inherent responsibility for
> our part in the
> local and global economy. Counter to what you may
> have read, I am not
> perfect. So I go to the drive-in because I want to
> support local
> businesses (especially theaters and especially
> drive-ins), but I
> personally draw the line at giving money to the gun
> and ammo shop
> (which the theater partially subsidizes).

So you ARE going to donate to SOS then? What was this
whole thing about? I mean, there's no more direct way
to support the drive-in and NOT the gun shop than to
sponsor a sheet of plywood.

> I think it's great to see the community coming
> together over this
> issue, but we may be missing an opportunity to make
> some positive
> change instead of just reinstate the status quo.
> For example, what if
> this new SOS "foundation" retained ownership over
> part of the theater
> and managed it for the community's benefit, or what
> if they worked with
> the Center for Community Self-Help to establish a
> sustainable and
> healthy business to complement the drive-in.

OK, for SOS to "retain" ownership of any part of the
theater, they would have to already own part of it.
Bob Groves owns every part of the theater. I have no
idea what you're suggesting.

So instead of saying "retaining" ownership, perhaps
you meant to say "wrest" ownership. Because this is a
community effort to help out a friend, not a community
effort to take over. Shit, mang, I didn't even ask
for my record player back when Radio Free closed.

> Again:
> I'm not here to
> tell anyone what to do. I'm just dreaming out loud.
> There is more
> than one way to do this.
>
> I find it strange that my moral dilemma seems to
> outrage some of you.
> I am just raising questions, you have to answer them
> for yourselves.
> As Brian's letter said "When people give time and
> money to such a fine
> cause, they become partners in the cause's future."

Please don't interpret my questions and comments as
outrage. As much as I might think this is just an
opportunity for some to put Bob Groves's face on an
incredibly complex social problem, I'm not angry. I'm
just confused.

But if this were just a moral dilemma for you, why was
I emailed about it? I'm not into getting involved
with other peoples' moral dilemmas. I have enough of
my own. And you can learn all about them at:

http://myproblemsareyourproblemsnow.blogspot.com

:P

Hep