ch-scene - Re: Ditch the guns II

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Jason M. Sullivan" <jason AT krazykat.nc.rr.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Ditch the guns II
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:53:12 GMT

In article <ECFC13D0-0B5D-11D9-B93C-0030657CCBF2 AT ibiblio.org>, Brian Russell
wrote:
> To me the *main* point of the two letters in the Indy is to let anyone
> who is donating money and time to the 'Save the Starlite' cause that
> their money &/or time MIGHT be used to support a business that sells
> guns.

Wow, so lets cast doubt by adding a "MIGHT" to a statement we clearly know
is false. It sounds so... Republican.

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20020401/24035.html

> SO....
> A) If you're for gun use or don't care either way then there is no
> problem for you. Donate away.

> B) If you are against the effects of guns and the violence people cause
> with them then you may not want to give to the 'Save the Starlite'
> cause.

Wait! I'm for _both_! What do I do? Oh, wait, you're forming the
argument as an either/or proposition when the choices are CLEARLY NOT
MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE. Just what are the effects of guns? Hang on, here they
come...

[Lot's of statistics deleted]

...ok, so that's only the bad stuff. I'm sure there are statistics on
other sites that talk about good stuff, but lets zero in on this site that
you cited for a moment...

> (www.ncgv.org).

There's a pdf on there talking about where most criminals (who are the main
creators of gun violence) get there guns. For those who haven't figured
this already: It's not a legal gun shop. That's from the anti-gun
violence site; which advocates closing gun shows, but not, oddly, legal gun
shops. In fact, the site isn't anti-gun, it's anti-gun violence. In their
own words...

"Our major strategy for preventing gun violence is through education -
explaining the nature of gun violence and ways to prevent it. We also work
for enforcement - advocating enforcement of existing laws - and enactment -
supporting legislation on state and national levels."

And that's from three women in Chapel Hill. I bet they'd even like the
Starlite.

--
//// Jason M. SULLIVAN jsullivan AT nc.rr.com
|c-oo http://www.jason0x21.org
\_- "That's not music, that's just sound!" - J. David Fries