cc-metadata - Re: metadata fun

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Jon Phillips <jon AT rejon.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: metadata fun
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:53:55 -0700

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 11:10 +1000, Conrad Parker wrote:
> Hi Jon, all,
>
> I also just joined this list :) Inkscape, rock!

Great! Look for Inkscape 0.42 tomorrow!

> My work is mainly on audio and video software around Ogg (xiph.org) and
> Annodex (annodex.net) -- Annodex involves putting generic, timed
> metadata in media files, and surfing and crawling that in a web-like way.

Aha...time based metadata...so this is to add some sort of contextual
information through time. Very cool! I think this developing of a libcc
or whatever for CC could be used also for some type of time-based
metadata....hmmm...

> I gave a presentation at the European Gnome conference GUADEC about
> Annodex, and pushed Creative Commons tagging quite heavily in that.
> Recently I've been chatting with artists, musicians and developers
> about working together to make Free Software tools support CC tagging.

Excellent!

> Various notes and bits and pieces are written up here:
>
> http://kido.kfish.org/blog/
>
> Last night we had an interesting discussion at the local Debian SIG,
> and of course Open Clip Art came up in the discussion :)

Cool! I'm glad to see OCAL scaling up.

Jon

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 03:43:02PM -0700, Jon Phillips wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I just joined the cc-metadata list because I wanted to inform you all
> > that two of the projects I'm involved in, Inkscape, an Open Source
> > drawing program (vector graphics based) and the Open Clip Art Library
> > (http://www.openclipart.org/), a public domain collection of user
> > submitted clip art, both support Creative Commons metadata.
> >
> > Inkscape even has an interface so that one could add metadata to a file.
> >
> > Open Clip Art Library uses the metadata inside the SVG files to organize
> > the collection, and maintain authorship data.
> >
> > Anyhow, I just wanted to say hello, and tell people about these things.
> > I will participate in the list now. I also hope to help encourage other
> > uses of cc-metadata.
> >
> > I gave a presentation that discussed this the last couple of days at
> > desktopcon.org
> >
> > I would really like to see a generic software library for editing
> > cc-metadata in many different file types (svg, mp3, png, jpg, etc). I
> > don't think anyone has done this, but it would be a great to develop
> > some generic interface for developers to use with their applications
> > that is governed by the GPL. I don't see that this has yet happened,
> > correct?
> >
> > Would anyone be interested in this project?
> >
> > Jon
> >

> > --
> > Jon Phillips
> >
> > USA PH 510.499.0894