cc-metadata - Re: metadata fun

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Conrad Parker <conrad AT metadecks.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: metadata fun
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:03:08 +1000

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 02:28:04PM -0700, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> Conrad Parker wrote:
> > My work is mainly on audio and video software around Ogg (xiph.org) and
> > Annodex (annodex.net) -- Annodex involves putting generic, timed
> > metadata in media files, and surfing and crawling that in a web-like way.
>
> What is "generic" metadata?

CMML: http://www.annodex.net/specifications.html#cmml

which provides XHTML-like <meta> tags, as well as freetext descriptions
and <a href=""> anchors. These are contained in timestamped <clip>
elements, and packets of that XML are stored in a separate track in Ogg.

Ogg has the nice property that it's possible to rip out and re-edit
individual tracks, so you can add timed metadata even if you don't know
the details of what the other tracks are.

cheers,

Conrad.