cc-metadata - Re: metadata fun

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: "Nathan R. Yergler" <nathan AT yergler.net>
  • To: Mark Fallu <brisvegas1 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: metadata fun
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:24:16 -0500

The work we did was mostly digital audio extraction and transcoding. When it worked, we were able to write some really slick Python code that did quite a bit in a small amount of code. The problem was that getting the code to work reliably on a single platform, or similarly cross-platform was a nightmare. Admittedly, the problem could be in the libraries that Pymedia itself wraps; we never dug deep enough to find out. We ran into problems such as CD-ROM drives reporting empty (when they weren't) or erring out mid-read and reporting empty. We also ran into stability problems with the transcoding functionality, to the point that we eventually bundled a command line encoder and called out to it from our Python code. Finally, Pymedia doesn't build (or didn't a few months ago, to the best of my knowledge) on Mac OS X, which makes it a less desirable target.

I think Pymedia is an interesting project, and the developer was fairly responsive to mailing list inquiries. Unfortunately it didn't meet our expectations.

Nathan

Mark Fallu wrote:

Do you think you could publish more details of the specifics of the
work you did - the problems you encountered etc.

Cheers,

Mark