cc-metadata - Re: metadata fun

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: "Nathan R. Yergler" <nathan AT yergler.net>
  • To: Mark Fallu <brisvegas1 AT gmail.com>, discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: metadata fun
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:11:44 -0500

I'm not familiar with MMPtyhon, but Pymedia isn't a suitable basis for building upon. I used it in developing a ccPublisher derivative for Jameno (http://jamendo.org), and it's fickle and buggy on it's best days. The mailing list has been slightly more active lately, so maybe some of these issues are being corrected.

Nathan

Mark Fallu wrote:

There are two python products that are interesting in this area:

Pymedia - http://pymedia.org/ (based on ffmpeg can read / transcode
etc a variety of media files including mov.)
and
MMPython - http://sourceforge.net/projects/mmpython/ (a multimedia
metadata parser that can read all sorts of meta data eg. id3 and
quickitime atoms)

Both of which would be a good basis for going forward and building an
app that can not only read the existing meta data - but can write the
metadata too. Usefully they are not targeted specifically at
Quicktime so would be a basis for a more generic system of multimedia
file metadata manipulation.

The quicktime api documentation of MOOV atoms can be found here -
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/QuickTime/APIREF/-moov-.htm
(quicktime is just a container format - so the video stream has a
separate MOOV atom as does the video stream and the metadata etc)

Quicktime file format specification here:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/QuickTime/QTFF/index.html

What we need is a standalone crossplatform app that can (in the manner
of ccpublisher) alter the metadata atom and leave the rest of the
quicktime file intact.

Currently - we have to things like quicktime pro to make these
modifications - but that is really only suitable for manual use on
individual files on either windows or macs.

I am more interested in a truly system that would allow users to
upload files to a server and edit the metadata through the web or to
batch process files on the desktop.

Cheers,

Mark