cc-metadata - Re: [cc-metadata] metadata fun

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Bjorn Wijers <mailings AT bdisfunctional.net>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-metadata] metadata fun
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:12:08 +0200

I think it is very important to have easy accessible libraries/tools to use for developers (and maybe end-users as well) to make sure the embedding of CC metadate gets as widespread as possible and a lively dev community might be the right way to facilitate this. I'm curious as what are the plans of CC in combination with developers?

Right, there are so many ways to do this. However, the best IMO from
experience dev'ing on Inkscape and other projects is to do one thing
well. And then, develop a mission around this one thing...after that is
proven, then expand.

I totally agree

This "one thing" could be up for debate. Open Source works well if you
stick to the KISS (keep it simple stupid) policy for development when
starting out.

Also, developing a dev. community is more than just putting things up on
sourceforge.net...it takes time, setting a mood, developing a nucleus of
activity, etc.

I agree. We do need some kind of core (person/idea) around which we can organize al sorts of activities.

ps: Btw I am involved with the Dutch Creative Commons and I'd like to help out with this.
Cool...in what way would you like to contribute?

I'd like to help out with getting people together and programming. Whereas my programming experience is mostly based around php and webdevelopment. To give you some impression of some of the stuff I do: I'm the lead developer of Simuze an online/offline Dutch music community have a look at http://www.simuze.nl

What chat channel do
ppl. hang out in? irc.freenode.net #cc ??? That would be a rockin one.

To be honest...in our case (CC NL) I am the only tech dude at the moment. We're working on getting more people onboard. Be it techies or other kinds ;). However the irc #cc channel is a good idea. Is something like this already alive? If not how can we start out a channel like this?

grtz
BjornW