cc-metadata - Re: metadata fun

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Jon Phillips <jon AT rejon.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: metadata fun
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:00:29 -0700

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 17:19 -0700, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> Jon Phillips wrote:
> > That is cool! I think though it would be good to make some generic C
> > library like:
> >
> > libccmetadata
> >
> > libcc
> >
> > And, then make bindings for other languages like python, etc. The point
> > of this would be speed and to slap this kind of support into
> > pre-existing programs.
>
> Certainly.
>
> > Inkscape already has a generic interface for editing cc-metadata, so
> > that could be extracted and placed somewhere as an example
> > implementation for developers.
>
> Can you point out the relevant code?

Please excuse my language. I mean it has a generic graphical interface
for editing cc-metadata. The code for handling cc-metadata though could
be extracted as well.

I'm thinking best to make a generic library for cc-metadata, and then
possibly could make a generic graphical library as well for cc-metadata,
but that is less likely in my mind because of all the diff. systems that
lib. would have to be accountable for.

> > It is great that you guys put up the cc projects into sf.net. How is the
> > building of the development community going?
>
> Mediocre. I/we haven't been very proactive about telling people how
> they can help.

Yes, it is kind of obscure what is going on with these things. Would be
great to grow a community around the various cc tools. Unfortunately, it
is tough to just put code up and say its available for free...many ppl.
I talk to that are hackers or artists/musicians still do not know cc, so
then to get them to develop on an open source cc project might be even
more of a stretch. I have some thoughts on how to grow these communities
if interested.

> Brian Heung, one of our interns, recently moved our
> horriblly out of date "tech challenges" to
> http://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/TechChallenges suggestions or
> better yet direct edits welcome.

Yes, but it seems they have not been redirected on the site yet...then
ppl. will start helping via the wiki hopefully.

> It should be easier for outside developers to contribute at least to CC
> Publisher in the next couple months -- see
> http://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/CcPublisher#ccPublisher_2 for some
> beginning documentation of its extensibility from Nathan.

Great! It would be great to extract mots of the core functionality into
libraries and then cc-publisher would be a demo. I think this is a
better approach for trying to grow a community...don't get me wrong
though, ccpublisher is quite cool :)

> Also, there's a separate cctools-developer list that might be more
> appropriate for code discussions.

Aha...good...

--
Jon Phillips