cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] (no subject)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Nic Suzor" <nic AT suzor.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] (no subject)
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 13:18:36 +1000

On 12/5/06, drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com> wrote:
So, you know for a fact that non-DRM games cannot play on these systems? I am
ignorant in this area. Would Sony grant a Free certification or whatever for
copyleft works?

That's right. There's a lock in the combination of the regional access
code and the boot ROM of PlayStation consoles and games which allow
only signed code to run. I've never seen a suggestion that Sony would
allow free developers to sign their code (or sign the code for them
gratis), but I don't want to preclude the possibility.

They can always contact me an make a deal. Or use your stuff, you can grant an
exception. Somehow I am sure.

Of course they can always contact you and make a deal. But the beauty
of CC licences is that people don't need to ask permission first.

I wouldn't, but I would be OK with a PD requirement being added to the current
proposal. And I would be OK with my previous attempt at a compromise
proposal.

I would be OK with that compromise. I still feel that there's some
problems, but it would alleviate the problem of my mother not being
able to apply her own TPMs.

nic.