cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] (no subject)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: nic AT suzor.com, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] (no subject)
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 19:05:31 -0500

On Monday 04 December 2006 06:48 pm, Nic Suzor wrote:
> On 12/5/06, drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com> wrote:
> > PD proponents, is Greg right? Do you specifically want to permit the
> > DRM-Dave scenario or is that scenario juts something that you feel can't
> > be avoided when you want to get the benefits you see with the PD plan?
>
> Personally, I'm after a copyleft licence which allows use in closed
> systems, as long as any modifications to the licensed content are
> released in some unencumbered form.
>
> I don't mind if someone uses my content on a closed platform, but I
> want to see the improvements come back.
>
> This is why I think PD is important for the SA licences. I know that I
> could choose a non-copyleft licence and my content would be available
> for use in closed platforms. However, I wouldn't be entitled to see
> and benefit from the modifications to my content.

Is it important to you to have your works able to be "traded in" on close
systems where only the "blessed" can do so, or would you be OK with
restricting it to closed systems where anyone can put on the DRM for your
works?

Secondly, people are saying that the current anti-tpm language without PD
allows works to be used on closed platforms if the user puts them on. (Local
application of DRM.)

What more do you need?

> cheers,
>

> nic.