cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] (no subject)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Nic Suzor" <nic AT suzor.com>
  • To: "drew Roberts" <zotz AT 100jamz.com>, "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] (no subject)
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 12:18:54 +1000

On 12/5/06, drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com> wrote:
Clear.

And are you aware of any systems that are like this now? Ones that your mother
and grandfather have?

I have no examples of pure readers which currently do this. I suspect
that there may be some ebook readers which require formats which are
technically not free to apply, but I don't have any direct experience.
I would hope that the reason I don't know any of these systems is
because nobody would buy one, but I think that would be
overly-optimistic.

On the other hand, there are many commercial systems like the
PlayStation or the XBox, where I would love to see an independent
developer use CC-licensed works and free software to create a release
title, and then raise some funding to obtain the certification
required to release.

I hope that the lack of worst-case examples is not seen to negative
the need for a PD clause. The worst-case scenario that you are forced
to pay to access your own work on a locked platform is the extreme
side of the argument against PD, and I am saying that I would be
prepared to accept a licence which allowed that, as long as my content
(plus improvements) were also available in cleartext.

Thanks,

nic.