cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james AT grimmelmann.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses
  • Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 19:16:04 -0500

Greg London wrote:
why couldn't I design a DRM system where anyone
could apply, but only the blessed could work with
protected content from there?

You can handle this with the current proposal, though.
The current anti-TPM clause allows local application
of TPM to a work. You can then upload it to your hardware.
Unless I'm misunderstanding your scenario, it's already
addressed in the current anti-TPM language.

If folks would agree to parallel distribution
and everyone must be able to apply DRM, then
that's almost identical from a functional
point of view to the Anti-TPM with local DRM allowed.

I believe that a significant difference is whether one must apply the DRM for oneself, or whether one could receive the copy with DRM already applied from someone else who would take care of the inconvenience of applying it.

I am thinking that this difference may not, however, be significant enough to be worth redrafting the licenses, especially given the difficulties of defining what it would mean to say that "anyone is able to apply the DRM."

James