cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] (no subject)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: nic AT suzor.com, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] (no subject)
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 23:19:12 -0600

Nic Suzor wrote:
> On the other hand, there are many commercial systems like the
> PlayStation or the XBox, where I would love to see an independent
> developer use CC-licensed works and free software to create a release
> title, and then raise some funding to obtain the certification
> required to release.

AFAIK, it is possible to do this now, without any changes to the license
terms, and you do not need to pay for certification. It just needs to
run without the proprietary support libraries (e.g. using the Linux
ports to those platforms), and of course, you probably can't use the
trademarked certification marks from the company.

Note that, no matter what the license terms are, it is always possible
to achieve this by seeking permission from the content producers. I
imagine most would be willing to waive their requirements in exchange
for money, just as would be the case for any traditionally licensed content.

Cheers,
Terry