cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Maybe Dual Licensing is the solution.

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Maybe Dual Licensing is the solution.
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:12:13 -0500

On Monday 04 December 2006 09:55 pm, Greg London wrote:
> There is a business model in the GNU-GPL community
> where people take a work and release it under the
> GNU-GPL license. They (or a small group) do the
> entire application code. They do not accept outside
> contributions. They then license their work under
> GNU-GPL.

Well, some do, but they require assignments or permissions to dual license.
People can still follow this model with CC licenses if they like.

> And then they make their money by selling proprietary
> licenses to that very same code.
>
> For those of you who are willing to allow someone
> a commercial monopoly on some particular platform,
> I suggest that you take your content and do like
> the dual-licensers do. License your work CC-SA
> and contribute it to some larger community, and
> then when some proprietary company wants the exclusive
> rights to use that content on their DRM-Only hardware
> platform, dual license your content. Give the proprietary
> vendor a CC-BY license to use your work on their
> platform, let them have sole right to commercial advantage
> on that platform, and everyone should be happy.

They don't even have to give the vendor a BY license, thay can give him the
BY-SA with the PD clause that they want.

> Oh, wait, you want EVERYONE to sign their rights
> away to this proprietary vendor????
>
> I think I see the problem....

(da idea man)
National Novel Writing Month