cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 20:49:23 -0500 (EST)

> I believe that a significant difference is whether one must apply the
> DRM for oneself, or whether one could receive the copy with DRM already
> applied from someone else who would take care of the inconvenience of
> applying it.

I think if a DRM application application is available,
it could be wrapped somehow to automate the process for non-geeks.
make files, install wizards, something like that.

> I am thinking that this difference may not, however, be significant
> enough to be worth redrafting the licenses, especially given the
> difficulties of defining what it would mean to say that "anyone is able
> to apply the DRM."

We agree on that.

The parallel-distribution may also have some complexity in trying
to legally define what would be required for the parallel copy
of the content. Source file? A binary? Hex dump? The original
source or the modified source?

--
Take the Courage Vow
http://www.couragevow.com/