cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] (no subject)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Nic Suzor" <nic AT suzor.com>
  • To: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • Cc: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] (no subject)
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:36:08 +1000

On 12/5/06, Greg London <email AT greglondon.com> wrote:
copyleft isn't simply about the content.

Ned creates some content.
He licenses it CC-SA-NC.

You will get a copy of all the content.
But only Ned can sell it.

Only Ned can sell it _on that platform_. Fine. I hope that competition
law evolves, and anti-circumvention law is changed to protect only
legitimate interests. But I don't want to try to do this through the
licence. I want wide distribution of my works, I want people to build
off my works, and I want those improvements to be granted back to
myself and others. If the preferred platform for viewing and editing
of my works is a locked platform, and people are prepared to pay for
the privilege of using my works on a locked platform, so be it.

I'm prepared to vote with my feet (wallet) and not buy the locked
platform. I'm prepared to challenge the expansion of
anti-circumvention and copyright law for anti-competitive purposes.
I'm not prepared to attempt to do so in an open copyright licence.

nic.

--
Nic Suzor
nic AT suzor.com