baslinux - Re: [BL] Abiword problem

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Abiword problem
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:49:18 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I think Abiword worked in BL2 before the update, but now after giving
locale warnings:

Xlib: extension "Xfree86-Misc" missing on display ":0.0".

Steven, does abiword work for you in BL2?

It works when I chroot to BL3.50 (default wm).

It definitely worked in BL2 before the library upgrade.

Before upgrading BL2, I had copied the basics (no source or documentation) to a subdirectory of BL2 calling it minibl2. I did NOT upgrade glibc in this subdirectory. This is what I use on laptops.

chroot /minibl2 /bin/bash -login

I am now in BL2 without glibc upgrade. Abiword works. I don't recall making any other serious changes to BL2 besides the glibc upgrade so that probably broke it.

I could embed BL3 or SW11 in BL2 (with a copy of the modules for the kernel I use in BL2) and then access them only from BL2, with fewer partitions (but it might take longer to boot a larger partition).
Top run from BL2 lists processes running in the chrooted linux (at least when I chroot to SW11 in another partition) and an internet connection made in BL2 works in SW11 when chrooted.
This is useful for experimenting.

Steven, do you want to compile a recent busybox for BL2 used with 2.4 kernel? Karolis compiled 1.3.2 with more programs than your busybox (I think also a default version) a few years ago which I posted. I see a 1.13.3 March 4, 2009. I don't know if the latest versions need 2.6 kernel.