baslinux - Re: [BL] GTK and locale problem (related to Seamonkey)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] GTK and locale problem (related to Seamonkey)
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 00:24:33 +0000 (UTC)

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

I copied BL2 to another partition and 'upgraded'
glibc to 2.3.6 by copying over all the libraries
in /lib that included *2.3.6*

That is not sufficient. You need to install the
entire glibc-solibs package from Slackware 11.

With SW11 libpthread (a dependency) Seamonkey now works, despite
GDK locale warnings again. (Possibly a mismatch between the seamonkey libraries compiled against 2.3.2 and the 2.3.6 libraries - the warning disappeared when using glibc 2.3.2).

libmemusage and libpcprofile are not dependencies but I needed one or both of them for Firefox (which would otherwise load them disappear).

I will install the full package to my full BL. Thanks for your patience.
Seamonkey ought to work for you if you installed xlib.tgz full package.

IIRC, you also need the elflibs package from Slackware 11.

I copied libcc_s.so.1, a dependency, from SW11.
Firefox would not accept the SW8.1 version. Seamonkey did not complain.

I have said this many times before: you should
install entire Slackware library packages.

For glibc this was the solution. For elflibs not. I don't know why I needed glibc 2.3.6 when the Seamonkey libraries only asked for 2.3.2.

It is easy to make a mistake when you try to
guess what is important and what isn't.

Some packages are full of irrelevant stuff.

Thanks for your help.

Firefox 1.5.0.12 ('Deer Park', November 29, 2005) and Seamonkey 1.1.15 (March 19, 2009) will both work with BL if you upgrade to SW11 glibc 2.3.6 and also add libgcc_s.so.1, from SW11 elflibs. (Seamonkey also needs libXi.)

Other than the smaller download, what advantages does Firefox offer over the more recent Seamonkey? I read that plugins work better.

One other program works with SW11 but not upgraded BL, a softphone called sjphone. I might need to upgrade X11.

./lib/sjphone: symbol lookup error: ./lib/sjphone: undefined symbol XkbSetPerClientControls'.

Dependencies (I have them) are:
libSM, libICE, libX11, libXext, (SW7 X)
libdl, libpthread, libm, libc, ld-linux (glibc 2.3.6)

I tried with Xvesa and SVGA server, glibc 2.2.5 through 2.3.6.

I found online the info: Xlib (libX11) has two new APIs: XkbSetPerClientControls and .... This is version 11 Release 6.4. (1998)

People got a similar error messages trying to start KDE, programs that use Qt, and Skype.

The error is due to having some library that is too old, which someone thought might be X libraries.

The only libraries used by sjphone are glibc (from SW11, where the program works) and the four X libraries.

What should I update them to? xlibs.tgz is not found in SW11, it is xfree something or other and quite large and I don't want most of it (locale, xkb, man, doc, info). Can I copy over from Slackware 11 only the four libraries used by this program? Or maybe only libX11?

libX11.so.6.2 (SW71 6.1, .75MB versus 1.3MB)
libXext.so.6.4 (SW71 6.3 - this one is small)
libSM (don't see these two in the same directory)
libICE