baslinux - Re: [BL] bl3: ftpd and links

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bl3: ftpd and links
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 07:02:01 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> If you like I will recompile it without graphics,
> or zlib, or libbz2, but for glibc 2.2.5
>
> If you don't look at huge images in graphics mode it
> should work fine with 12MB RAM and a 24MB swap partition
> or file.

I do not recommend that users with 12mb RAM use glibc2.
Nor should they use a 2.4 kernel. Both of these will
reduce performance. On an old PC with 12mb RAM, this
reduction in performance can be significant. The reason
BL3 uses libc5 and a 2.2 kernel is to maximize performance
on old PCs with 12mb RAM (or less). This doesn't matter
to Sindi because she has a powerful computer, but it is
bad advice to suggest that someone with 12mb RAM install
a bigger library and bigger kernel.

If someone with 12mb RAM (or less) asks for help, we
should make sure we offer libc5 and 2.2 kernel solutions.