baslinux - Re: [BL] links-ssl for libc5y

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] links-ssl for libc5y
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 02:39:32 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================

For those of you that need ssl and javascript,
in the browser, try this package:
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru/add-ons/links2.tgz
Install with pkg. It runs on BL3 without
additional libraries.

I had a bad (10 minute) wget download which will not uncompress to the 3.7MB file it supposedly contains. (I will try again with links). Which version of links2 is this - pre28? The 28 I compiled with ssl and javascript (minimal) for glibc is 3.8MB and has several graphical library dependencies.

Is this compiled against libc5, and usable under X like the previous version you compiled (pre15?).

If so, congratulations on getting the ssl working under libc5 (assuming it really works which I cannot test yet).

This will be a big help to BL3 if it works at all SSL sites (which plain links does not seem to do, just at some of them).

Since you have openssl, perhaps you can also compile elinks for BL3, using libc5 or dietlibc, with ssl and even javascript.

Now that links2 does SSL, I can't think of anything lynx does better than links2, other than let you type in a URL without the www and com. Is there some way to use links2 -g as a downloader for links2 non-graphical? (If you hit a page where you need embedded graphics?). I suppose you could just use it with images turned off, then turn them on again.

Thanks for all your efforts,