baslinux - Re: [BL] bl3: ftpd and links

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bl3: ftpd and links
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:54:55 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Giuseppe wrote:

Is there any packages to install links 0.98 with ssl support

There is a libc5 links-0.98 binary here:
http://links.sourceforge.net/download/binaries/linux-libc5/links-0.98

Also available for glibc and Win32 (but not for Mac, which I found elsewhere for 0.96).

The glibc links-0.98 won't run in BL2
First I typed chmod +x (because it said 'permission denied', meaning
that it was not executable by anyone due to wrong permissions).
When I tried to run it by typing links-0.98
cannot execute binary file.
lss: $exited with unknown exit code (139)
I have libc5 installed so it should have worked.

So I copied it to BL3 partition and chrooted.
mount /dev/hda7 /hd
chroot /hd /bin/sh --login
cd /usr/local/bin
links-0.98
Segmentation fault
Segmentation fault
ldd links-0.98
ldd: $exited with unknown exit code (139)
./links-0.98
Syntax error: "(" unexpected

The glibc2 0.98 is 806K. It also will not execute or work with ldd.
I fetched the first with wget, the second with lynx.
strip links-0.98 - File format not recognized.

It's not a package, it's just the executable. I don't
know whether it has SSL compiled in, but the binary is
quite large so the chances are good.

For the glibc2 version:

Strings links-0.98 | grep lib finds
libcrypto.so.0.9.6 and libc.so.6 libdl libgpm ....
and SSL_library_init and libssl.so.0.9.6
and a lot of Romanian (libre) about GPL.

So if it worked it would support SSL.

BTW I found a nice site for testing SSL in your browser:
https://www.fortify.net/sslcheck.html

I was surprised to find that Opera, Phoenix and links-ssl
use three different encryption methods.

Lynx uses high-grade encryption (openssl).

The links2-1pre33 with ssl I compiled uses the same encryption.
(It displays garbage on exit if you call it as links2*-ssl, not by the full name, so I made a symlink).

Delilinux links2 uses no encryption.

elinks would also use openssl.

It has some CSS support and some ECMAScript (Javascript and Jscript) support. There are several dialects of ECMAscript (see Wikipedia).

Mozilla: Gecko, SpiderMonkey and Rhino Javascript 1.7 ECMA-262 edition 3
Internet Explorer: Jscript 5.7 ECMA-262, edition 3
Opera: ECMAScript with extension to both Javascript and JScript 1.3/1.5 ECMA-262 edition 3
Safari: JavaScript 1.5 ECMA-262

I don't understand all this but it looks like using SpiderMonkey from Mozilla should provide as much Javascript as Mozilla itself does, in much less space and memory. Or maybe you also need Gecko and Rhino. ????

There are some pages that Opera cannot handle (possibly due to using Javascript 1.3/1.5 instead of 1.7 like Mozilla) or maybe this has changed with more recent editions of Opera. 9.5 accessed a page 9.23 could not.

There are tips for compiling to optimize size with gcc flags and by omitting lots of features such as nls (national language support), ipv6 (DNS support), x, spidermonkey (javascript), openssl, gpm, zlib, bzlib, lua, gnutls (SSL), backtrace. Use UPX.

--enable-small disables textual descriptions of options and reduces error message size, disables fastfind which reduces memory usage and size.

Someone got it down to 200K with dietlibc (static) - maybe an older version?. The dietlibc binaries link is timing out.

dietlibc has been used to compile elinks and openssh

The latest dietlibc-0.31 is 20070824, 559K bz2. 1.6K/sec download.

It expands to over 8MB but you can delete sparc* ppc mips... directories and keep i386.

README explains how to compile dietlibc.a in bin-i386 and the binary diet, which goes into /usr/local/bin. To compile, prepend diet to the command line (edit Makefile to add it before lines with gcc). You can download a few precompiled utilities (but the site is busy).

When I tried to compile by typing 'make' as instructed, it exited with error 1. 'sd' undeclared. Apparently gcc 2.95.3 cannot compile it.
Anyone else want to try this?

I will attempt to compile elinks dynamic against glibc 2.2.5
with javascript and ssl support, maybe next week.