baslinux - Re: [BL] screen from Slack12 on BL 3.5

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] screen from Slack12 on BL 3.5
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:09:30 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Sindi wrote:

gs --help will list all the devices available which I think includes x11
for SW4.0 (it does for SW7.1 gs).

Probably just:
gs -sDEVICE=x11 file.pdf (I don't know how resolutions work under X, you
may need to specify that as well, so read Use.html).

I regret to report that the results of using this command, after having
installed Slack4's gs, are roughly the same as the results I get when
trying to view pdf files using xpdf. It opens a viewing window but, unlike
xpdf, instead of random characters appearing on the page, the page is
simply blank. If I run this command on a file with English text on it, the
file displays pretty normally--much like the results I get with
English-language pdf's when I view them with xpdf. Maybe I'll find the
resolution later.

You did not mention you were trying to view non-Latin characters.

You need to install the ghostscript fonts for whatever language/script you are trying to view. Abiword for BL comes with only Latin fonts.

The latest gs's come with built-in Latin font but earlier ones require external fonts to display anything at all.

My 8.54 was compiled not to display with x11 or even svgalib, since svp displays using svgalib. It made it smaller, I hope.

It is not terribly complicated to add svgalib and svp as gs frontends. They work with kernel 2.2 (just edit libvga.config from Helper to Nohelper). My package for svgalib comes with lots of stuff you don't even need (header files for static compilation which I probably did not need to include). I think you do need libpng12.so.0.16.0 for links2 but probably not to use svp. You don't need the svgalib_helper module for kernel 2.2.

You might need the newer libvga.config but you could try just fetching
libvga.so.1.9.25-neo, put in /usr/lib, ldconfig (change the name by removing -neo or symlink it to libvga.so.1.9.25). Then svp ought to work with any gs.

svp-glib225 is my executable. I don't seem to have packaged it with any documentation. --help. 26K.
libvga.so.1.9.25-neo is 165K

GS is said to support Hebrew but the link I found was broken.

GS fonts.htm
All about fonts... and how to add new ones.
Most gs fonts are .pfb which is PostScript Type 1. Fontmap file, aliases...

See the Hebrew HOWTO.

You may have to add your own Hebrew fonts for gs by converting them from some other format, or editing Fontmap..... Good luck.

There is a gs 8.57. I am happy with 8.54. Too large a download.

Sindi

Thanks,
James