baslinux - Re: [BL] boot BL3 straight into Xvesa: how?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] boot BL3 straight into Xvesa: how?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 13:13:55 +0000 (UTC)

Putting swm in place of icewm in the example doesn't work in the "normal" sense because swm requires that a background be specified, and you get a crosshatched background doing that. My fiddling around to this point has not resolved the matter.

There are several possible backgrounds including solid black.

Thanks,
James

How do I use Xvesa without a window manager, with mplayer? On my newest computer, with four video cards, vesa, svga, and cvidix do not work at all (or very badly - cvidix is transparent). fbdev works but my best video card (like all Nvidia cards) does xfbdev in blue on blue and fbdev in black on black. I want a command-line script including 'mplayer -slang en -framedrop dvd://1-5). (I will put oss and x11 in the config file).

DVDs play at 720x540 or so resolution. Some video cards can match that, otherwise I use 800x600 and it is not full-screen, which gives you a colored edge with stuff in it, when used with wm. Ratpoison at least provides a white background.