baslinux - Re: [BL] boot BL3 straight into Xvesa: how?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] boot BL3 straight into Xvesa: how?
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:13:24 -0400

On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 06:28:20AM +1200, Steven wrote:

> You never mentioned that you wanted to run an
> xterm. Initially, you wanted something to auto-
> run your mgp presentation. I gave you a method
> for doing that. You didn't like that because
> it restricted you to one specific presentation.

I assumed having access to an xterm would fall under the rubric of the
"normal" BL X session I was trying to define as
one of my goals. In web communications one should try to keep assumptions to
a minimum, but sometimes they creep in
unawares.

To clarify about the beginnings of this thread, here's an excerpt from my
initial post: "I want Xvesa to start
immediately upon booting BL3. I know I should be editing /etc/inittab to get
this to happen (that's how Steven did it
for one of his presentations, as documented in the archive)." I never wanted
to run mgp on boot-up, just Xvesa. I never
stated that starting mgp immediately was my goal. The only thing I found in
the archive that seemed relevant to my
intention of starting Xvesa on boot-up was a post in which you talked about
booting straight into Xvesa and starting up
mgp. But I never said that's what I was trying to do (I only ever wrote about
starting Xvesa). I can see how some
confusion could arise regarding this. But I do want to stress that my aim was
never to start mgp when booting into the
gui and I never stated that my goal was such. A careful rereading of my posts
on this subject should indicate that.

> I then gave you a method for starting icewm
> (which I though you were using). You didn't
> like that because you wanted the default wm,
> background and menu. So I gave you a method
> for doing that.

I have nothing against icewm and really like it better than swm. But I'm
trying to not get into alot of additional
tweaking on this machine. It will be dedicated to mgp presentations and I'm
intending to use it almost solely for that.
So I haven't installed icewm, but only those add-ons that I find necessary to
creating or editing my presentations
(nano, mc, imagick). I'd like to keep it as vanilla as possible apart from
those.

> It's easy to avoid the xterm problem (by making
> it an non-login-shell in /usr/share/swm/menu.sh)
> but then you'll probably complain that it's
> missing the environment established by /etc/profile.

Could be. It seems like that behavior would not be along the lines of the
"normal" BL gui environment as I've been
trying to define that, and that I've set forth as my goal.

> The best solution was probably my icewm suggestion
> with jwm instead of icewm. The swm+MENU kludge
> (used for BasicLinux 3.40) is best avoided.

I'm willing to add an alternate wm if that will enable me to get the
normal(ish) BL gui environment I've been aiming at
when BL boots. Is it possible to add jwm? Or would you recommend adding icewm
as the simplest way of achieving the goal
I'm aiming for?

Thanks,
James