baslinux - Re: [BL] boot BL3 straight into Xvesa: how?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] boot BL3 straight into Xvesa: how?
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 08:27:27 -0400

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 02:03:50PM +1200, Steven wrote:

> I've just tested it (startx in /etc/profile) and it
> works fine. Sorry about the mistake. Your environment
> is set in /etc/profile, not /etc/rc. So the startx goes
> at the end of /etc/profile.

How extensively did you test this? It does seem to work in the sense of
causing my configured Xvesa to pop onto the
screen after I've hit enter to activate the console. But what happens on your
setup when you try to open an xterm? On
mine, every time I do that, it switches me back to vt1. To get back to X, I
have to hit ctrl-alt-F4. There I see some
cryptic messages in the xterm about transocket something or other (I won't
include that message since you should be
able to easily reproduce this). I'm testing this on the qemu image, but I
don't see why these shouldn't be considered
the same as results one would get on a regular BL install. Anyway, it's not
going to be a very workable solution to
auto-starting X if, every time you open an xterm, the system switches over to
vt1. Let me know if you get the same
results.

Thanks,
James