baslinux - Re: [BL] boot BL3 straight into Xvesa: how?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] boot BL3 straight into Xvesa: how?
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 19:31:39 -0400

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 08:59:08AM +1200, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
> Message from Steven
> ===================
> James wrote:
> >
> > I want Xvesa to start immediately upon booting BL3.
> > I know I should be editing /etc/inittab to get this
> > but I'm not sure exactly _how_ to edit it.
>
> First create: /tmp/goXvesa
> PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin"
> Xvesa -terminate -screen 800x600x15 &
> sleep 1
> DISPLAY=:0 mgp /usr/share/mgp/lesson4.mgp
>
> Then edit: /etc/inittab
> -------------------------------------
> tty1::respawn:/bin/sh -c /tmp/goXvesa
> -------------------------------------
> Leave other lines untouched.
>
> If you want, you can put a menu in goXvesa
> to select which lesson.mgp to display. The
> respawn will then return to the menu after
> each presentation, allowing you to select
> a new one.

I thought I had solved this with my editing of /etc/inittab but was mistaken.
Between all the editing and rebooting, I
had forgotten what I did and its effects. So, I'm now looking into
implementing a more proper solution like you've
suggested here, Steven. Thing is, I don't want to go automatically into mgp.
I'd rather just have regular Xvesa start
up. I've made a menu item that loads links and takes me to the dir where my
mgp files are. I also tweaked links
appropriately so it open mgp files with mgp. So, how would I go about
starting just the normal Xvesa on boot? Could I
just put

tty1::respawn:/bin/sh -c /usr/bin/startx

Also. Will the new BL3.5 links function as a drop-in replacement for the
current links in BL3.4? I assume the ftp
server access problem has been addressed with the new links.

Thanks,
James