baslinux - Re: [BL] Compare Imagick and netpbm

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compare Imagick and netpbm
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 13:51:14

from: Christof Lange
====================

On 22 Mar 07 at 8:37, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

>Wow... really. Also designer fonts sounds interesting what about...
>would it be possible to put it out some were would that be legal with
>copyright and so.

Here is the converting utility:

[http://ttf2pt1.sourceforge.net/download.html]
True Type Font to Postscript type 1 Converter

Here are some links to free font archives:

[http://cg.scs.carleton.ca/~luc/fonts.html]
cg.scs.carleton.ca - international fonts directory

[http://www.nongnu.org/freefont/resources.html]
Global fontware

[http://www.typenow.net/language.htm]
TypeNow.net Foreign Language Free Fonts

[http://www.freelang.net/fonts/index.html]
Fonts for Foreign Languages

[http://orwell.ru/test/download]
orwell.ru - Unicode fonts download

[http://www.nongnu.org/freefont]
Free UCS Outline Fonts

[http://www.webpagepublicity.com]
Free Fonts - 6500 Free TTF Fonts

>Do the fonts take up a lot of space?

The Ghostscript fonts for Western Europe and Eastern Europe
and Russian take 5,7 MB. The converted Eastern Europe TTF
fonts take 4,7 MB, containing:

Gentium Gentium-Italic LucidaSansUnicode TrebuchetMS
TrebuchetMS-Bold Trebuchet-BoldItalic TrebuchetMS-Italic Georgia
Georgia-Bold Georgia-BoldItalic Georgia-Italic Kabala-Bold Kabala
Odana Veluvana Marin MarinCaps MarinCapsItalic MarinItalic
ComicSansMS-Bold ComicSansMS Impact Nosferatu OldEnglish
Staccato222BT-Regular Tahoma Tahoma-Bold RuachLetPlain Candice
GeckoRegular Ravie MonotypeCorsiva ImprintMT-Shadow
MatisseITC-Regular ArtistikCE AshleyInlineCE BenguiatFriskyCE
BertramCE ChallengeExtraBoldCE CheltenhamOldStyleTEE CityPEE-Bold
CompactaPEE- Black ContusTEE-Medium CooperBlackDEE-Bold
CrilleeTEE-Regular CroissantDEE GraphiteLightCE HarlowCE
Nadianne-Bold OldEnglishCE PartyCE PhyllisCE- Italic PioneerITCCE
PosterBodoniCE-Bold SignetRoundhandCE-Italic SnapITCCE StencilSansCE
ThunderbirdCE TrafficCE YearbookOutline-CE BroadwayCE

>Is it easy to
>add the new fonts to the GS font dir?

There are some instructions coming with the converter.
I did not, however, install these fonts to ghostscript.
I just put them into the GS font directory, because I need
them only to produce graphic files:

1. Prepare a file text.ps that contains the information
on font, size, encoding etc. and the text

2. Run Ghostview to print the page into tmp.pcx

gs -dBATCH -q -sDEVICE=pcxmono -r300 -dOutputFile=/tmp.pcx/
-dNOPAUSE text.ps

3. Use netpbm to crop and convert the graphic file

pcxtoppm.exe tmp.pcx | pnmcrop.exe ppmtogif >text.gif.ppm

>I could host them if it is legal
>and if thy do not take op to much space and if you like the idea. It
>would be super cool with all this fonts and a small image of how each
>font looks. And a small tutorial on how to install them.

Great numbers of TTF fonts are available on the web. I just had
a little problem to find East European ones which would work with
Czech letters.

For selecting fonts it could be helpful to create small text
samples, e.g. 20pt text "ABČabč" for each font. This produces
about 300 pixel wide pictures (in gif format 800-1300 Bytes).
You may want to join these pictures together with pnmcat or
browse the sample directory with Arachne.

Christof Lange

Českobratrská církev evangelická - Betlémská kaple na Žižkově
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov