baslinux - Re: [BL] boot BL3 straight into Xvesa: how?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] boot BL3 straight into Xvesa: how?
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:04:42 -0400

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 11:07:21AM -0400, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
> I want Xvesa to start immediately upon booting BL3. I know I should be
> editing /etc/inittab to get this to happen
> (that's how Steven did it for one of his presentations, as documented in
> the archive), but I'm not sure exactly _how_
> to edit it. Putting the path to startx in place of /bin/sh doesn't work: it
> returns an error message that xinit could
> not be found. So, what is the way to edit /etc/inittab in order to get BL3
> to boot straight into Xvesa?

I think I've resolved this by editing startx and putting the full path to
xinit (/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit) there. After
doing that and changing askfirst to respawn for the first tty in
/etc/inittab, the system does boot straight into
Xvesa. Did I do this the right way, or is there some better way?

Thanks,
James