baslinux - Re: [BL] boot BL3 straight into Xvesa: how?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] boot BL3 straight into Xvesa: how?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 06:28:20 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
James wrote:

> > So the startx goes at the end of /etc/profile.
>
> How extensively did you test this?

Extensively enough to see the xterm issue
(plus another issue, which apparently you
haven't discovered yet).

> It does seem to work in the sense of causing my
> configured Xvesa to pop onto the screen after
> I've hit enter to activate the console.

Which can be avoided by using respawn instead
of askfirst.

> But what happens on your setup when you try to
> open an xterm?

Opening an xterm activates a login-type shell,
which reads /etc/profile (to get aliases and
other parameters). Since startx is at the
bottom of /etc/profile, the xterm shell tries
to startx (even though it is already in X).

> On mine, every time I do that, it switches
> me back to vt1. To get back to X, I have to
> hit ctrl-alt-F4.

Yes, that is what happens. I was aware of that.

> There I see some cryptic messages in the xterm
> about transocket something or other

That's because you can't start X on a screen that
already has X running.

> Anyway, it's not going to be a very workable
> solution to auto-starting X

You never mentioned that you wanted to run an
xterm. Initially, you wanted something to auto-
run your mgp presentation. I gave you a method
for doing that. You didn't like that because
it restricted you to one specific presentation.
I then gave you a method for starting icewm
(which I though you were using). You didn't
like that because you wanted the default wm,
background and menu. So I gave you a method
for doing that.

It's easy to avoid the xterm problem (by making
it an non-login-shell in /usr/share/swm/menu.sh)
but then you'll probably complain that it's
missing the environment established by /etc/profile.

The best solution was probably my icewm suggestion
with jwm instead of icewm. The swm+MENU kludge
(used for BasicLinux 3.40) is best avoided.