baslinux - Re: [BL] wordwrapping editor redux

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] wordwrapping editor redux
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:09:36 +0000 (UTC)

I've looked over that page and done some thinking about how that might help, but the problem is that I don't understand what key designators, if any, some of the keys on this non-standard keyboard correspond to. kf1 through kf4, for example, just print odd characters on the screen. The block and copy/paste keys thus don't work and apparently F1 through F4 on my keyboard correspond to some different designators. F5 through F12 (kf5 through kf12 in ae.rc) seem to work as advertised. The backspace key does not backspace but prints characters on the screen. I see in the file that one can move around within the text of a file by using ctrl p, ctrl n, and so forth. So that addresses one problem I was having. But I'd rather use the arrow keys for that, and on this wierdo keyboard, those are on the numpad--keys 2, 4, 8 and 6. So, to modify the ae.rc file to work better with my keyboard, I need some way of translating the key designators given in that file to the keys on my particular keyboard. All those designators begin with the letter "k": kf1, kf12, kcuu1, khome, kpp, etc.

Have you looked online for information about that keyboard?
If you knew more you could try remapping with loadkeys and a keymap.
Can you replace it with some other keyboard?

nano looks more promising with its auto-wrap/unwrap feature. I'll keep looking for a version that has that feature that I can install or, if

Just finished uploading the larger static version (nomouse) of nano.

that fails, compile for this machine. I may also take a look at the graphical editors you mention from mulinux. Thanks for pointing out ae and those mulinux alternatives. Maybe I'll find one that works better than the old Pico.

It was not hard to compile once I disabled mouse and put curses.h in /usr/include.

James