baslinux - Re: [BL] wordwrapping editor redux

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] wordwrapping editor redux
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:21:33 -0400

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 10:04:35AM +0100, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> Well you seem to be on the same problem that I was. I can't work with
> the way that pico, nano, joe, jove, wraps the line, therefor only
> thing on console for me is ae.
>
> Doesn't it work to make a separate ae.rc for X use the way I describe here?:
>
> http://www.home.no/mlinux/ae.htm

I've looked over that page and done some thinking about how that might help,
but the problem is that I don't understand
what key designators, if any, some of the keys on this non-standard keyboard
correspond to. kf1 through kf4, for
example, just print odd characters on the screen. The block and copy/paste
keys thus don't work and apparently F1
through F4 on my keyboard correspond to some different designators. F5
through F12 (kf5 through kf12 in ae.rc) seem to
work as advertised. The backspace key does not backspace but prints
characters on the screen. I see in the file that
one can move around within the text of a file by using ctrl p, ctrl n, and so
forth. So that addresses one problem I
was having. But I'd rather use the arrow keys for that, and on this wierdo
keyboard, those are on the numpad--keys 2,
4, 8 and 6. So, to modify the ae.rc file to work better with my keyboard, I
need some way of translating the key
designators given in that file to the keys on my particular keyboard. All
those designators begin with the letter "k":
kf1, kf12, kcuu1, khome, kpp, etc.

nano looks more promising with its auto-wrap/unwrap feature. I'll keep
looking for a version that has that feature that
I can install or, if that fails, compile for this machine. I may also take a
look at the graphical editors you mention
from mulinux. Thanks for pointing out ae and those mulinux alternatives.
Maybe I'll find one that works better than the
old Pico.

James