baslinux - Re: [BL] wordwrapping editor redux

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] wordwrapping editor redux
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:13:21 -0400

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 03:14:44PM -0400, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
> I'm running into the same problem under BL3 that Mikkel did some time ago:
> I need an editor that does wordwrap. e3 is

I might have to reneg on this. Being an impatient sort, I went ahead and
downloaded Pine (and discovered in the process
that the package was not as big as I thought it might be). Well, wordwrapping
is certainly easier on the brain when
looking at a file you're editing that may have some long lines in it, but mgp
doesn't seem to like it at all. It wants
to break the line when displaying the text wherever it break in the
wordwrapping editor. I can of course address this
by putting the %cont tag on a seprate line wherever the line wraps. That's
kind of tedious though and, depending on
where I might try editing the file again (e.g., at a different screen
resolution), the wrapping could end up being
different than it is on this machine.

Thus, it seems a better solution might be a pseudo-wordwrapping editor, if
there is such a thing. In other words, an
editor that wraps text only on the display but not in the file itself. I
suppose another option would be to let pico
make end of line breaks where it will, then run a script on the file that
takes out those end of line breaks. But then
you're back to sqaure one if you ever want to open and edit the file again.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this problem anyone? Any
pseudo-wordwrapping editors out there that might work
under BL?

Thanks,
James